Message from the President
"The ACT’s property industry generates almost 25,000 jobs across the ACT and is the second largest employer behind the public service. Our sector is critical to the diversity of the local economy and contributes 57.5% of all government revenue which funds our schools, hospitals, municipal, community and government services."
Travis Doherty – ACT President (Chief Executive, Village Building Company)
Canberra is undergoing the largest urban renewal ever seen, as we go about building a city that we call home but is also importantly our Nation’s Capital. Our members are creating the places, buildings and precincts needed to meet the needs of one of the fastest growing regions in the country - driving economic growth and renewal across our city.
“Our contribution to renewing our city at a time of transformation and growth is immense.”
The ACT Property Council members set the advocacy priorities that we champion with government and the community – providing the research and thought leadership to help decision-makers create vibrant communities, great cities and strong economies.
Our advocacy work is a team effort between staff and our volunteer committee members, in engaging with the government and the community to deliver our policy priorities including:
- Encouraging urban renewal vital to Canberra’s economic and social wellbeing
- Outcomes focused planning and sustainable development policies
- Transport Orientated Development (TOD) delivering density and liveability in major transport corridors and town centres.
- Housing choice for all Canberrans including retirement living and affordable housing
- Fair taxes and charges, administered efficiently and encourage development where it’s needed
- Long term infrastructure planning which will help transform our city; and
- Championing placemaking and design excellence for future generations of Canberrans.
Membership of the Property Council also provides tangible business benefits. We provide unparalleled networking opportunities and up-to-the-minute industry insights, providing members with access to timely information and data.
We work to ensure that members are informed about the key policy and political changes that will affect their business and we provide in-depth research in key areas affecting the industry for our members.
We thank you for you ongoing support through your membership and participation in our events and we look forward to your input into all that we do to make Canberra, our home, even better.