Property Council responds to Ageing Queenslanders – Issues Paper
The Property Council has provided a submission to the Advisory Taskforce on Residential Transition for Ageing Queenslanders – Issues Paper.
The submission suggests a series of policy-based solutions to assist the property industry provide housing for our ageing demographic. These include:
- Planning policy changes to enable the for profit and not-for-profit sectors to deliver purpose built seniors’ housing
- Requiring councils to adopt the Queensland Government’s ‘fair value’ infrastructure charge for retirement village dwellings
- Finalising the reviews of the Retirement Villages Act 1999 and Manufactured Home Parks (Residential Parks)Act 2003
- Allowing retirement village operators to implement innovative financial models
- Introducing a grant similar to the Queensland First Home Owners’ Grant to encourage seniors to downsize
- Implementing an educational campaign to shift community attitudes towards ageing and the need to plan for how and where people will grow old
A copy of the submission can be accessed below.