NSW Election Platform
Last week, Property Council NSW launched its 2019 NSW State Election Platform – Six Steps to a more Liveable, Affordable and Prosperous New South Wales.
New South Wales is the engine room of the Australian economy and Sydney is a great and growing global city. To secure our future, we must ensure our State’s prosperity, liveability and affordability, led by a thriving Sydney, is shared across our existing suburbs, planned growth areas and regions.
The platform, with over 30 recommendations, highlights the key policy changes that need to occur if we are to see sustainable growth in combination with strong economic growth and jobs in NSW.
Changes to the NSW planning system, increasing the diversity and supply of housing, examining and reducing the fees and charges applied to development and supporting good growth and high amenity are all critical if we are to see better outcomes for the community and industry.
To secure our future, we must ensure our State’s prosperity, liveability and affordability, led by a thriving Sydney, is shared across our existing suburbs, planned growth areas and regions.
The choice is not between growth or no growth. The real choice is between planned and unplanned growth.
This State and its people have long benefited from the economic and social impacts of population growth. We need to embrace the challenge of how to better manage the growing pains – things such as congestion and the disconnect between constructing houses and building communities.
The plans to deliver an even brighter future for Sydney have been delivered. We now need to stay the course – to implement the vision outlined by the Great Sydney Commission and translate it to the local level, so new and urbanising communities benefit from the timely delivery of schools, hospitals and green spaces. We need to speed up work to create communities, as well as homes.
This six-step plan outlines the priorities for the NSW Government to further improve New South Wales’ prosperity, affordability and liveability as we plan for our state’s long-term future which include:
Read the NSW Election Platform here.
- Creating tomorrow’s Sydney by delivering the plans for good growth and high amenity
- Fix the NSW planning system to implement strategic vision
- Accelerate the supply and diversity of housing to improve affordability and lower the cost of living
- Step up evidence-based infrastructure investment to reduce congestion and support growing communities
- Reduce fees, taxes and charges to boost investment and economic growth and create jobs
- Support our regions to strengthen their unique characteristics, attract jobs and increase investment.